This has been without a doubt, the toughest week I've had in my life. My brother came through his surgery great, and continues to do well. I was extremely happy that he was ok, and then everything crashed yesterday morning. When I got the call from Toby's wife, I didn't know what to do, what to say, or anything. I left the 2nd floor CICU waiting area and went straight to Wilcox Hall, still not realizing what I was about to face. When I saw Toby, I realized my world had changed forever. I guess in the back of my mind I had fought reality, and knew that everything would be ok. Now, it's more than ok for Toby. Nobody can say "poor ole Toby", because he's richer now than we could ever imagine.
For the past 12-13 years, Toby and I loaded up on Friday nights in the fall and hit the road. We've been from one end of the state to the other on several occasions. Going to a game or anywhere else with Toby, you learned one thing very quickly. The ride in the car was most of the time more enjoyable than the event you were attending. He loved to laugh, and to make others around him laugh. If you couldn't laugh around Toby, then it's impossible for you to laugh.
I learned a few things from Toby that I'll always hold onto. The most recognizable thing was, be yourself no matter what. Never be afraid of what someone thinks of you. I remember when my brother had his heart attack back in October, Toby and Melissa came by before going to the GC/PV game. Before he left, he had everybody in the waiting room smiling and laughing. For the moment he was there, he took everyone's mind off of their troubles and pains. That was simply just Toby.
To be honest, it probably won't really sink in until August, when I'm waiting for my phone to ring on Friday, and hearing his voice say "are you ready for tonight? what time we leavin?". I know I'm gonna turn to my left and look beside me, expecting to hear his "words of wisdom", but they'll no longer be there.
Toby was my best friend, he was family, and I'll never have another friend like him. Everyone that knew him, knew how unique he was. The one's of you that didn't know him, missed out on something special.
I have no doubt Toby's in a beautiful place this morning. No doubt he's already ribbing Tom about football. Other than Coach Colobro, there was no other coach he respected and loved than Coach Turner. I was pumping gas yesterday, and said to myself "Toby buddy what do I do now?". As soon as I said that, I had a chill come over me like somebody had poured ice water over me. At that point, I knew I'd be ok. He'll be here when I need him. He won't be here physically, but mentally and spiritually he'll be here.
In a couple days I'm gonna carry my buddy to be placed in the ground. As far as I'm concerned, there's never been a better seed planted in the earth.
Finally to our buddies in the corner.....we'll have to ring those bells a little louder this year. No doubt Toby's gonna be telling Tom some stories about all of us. I can honestly almost hear him say "Tom.....that bunch is crazy". It'll never be the same again, but his memory will last a lifetime.
Finally, Toby loved this board. He thought of everyone here as family. He loved talking sports, he loved talking non-sports, and yeah he loved a good bit of controversy occasionally. He told me once that this board reminded him of a family reunion, with relatives scattered all over the place. We sometimes didnt get along, but if we needed something we wouldn't go without. Take pride in knowing, you guys were a very big part of Toby's life.
Toby I miss you buddy. I promise you we'll carry on the tradition in your honor. We love you.





Bookmarks